Monday 20 August 2012

Super Seals and Sea Eagles

The weather here in Southern Ireland is typical, Rain, Rain and more Rain! Although we have had some bright spells. On the 13th, we went for a boat trip out on Kenmare bay to see the Seals. As I had never seen a seal before I was looking forward to the trip. While we were waiting for the boat, I counted five Grey Herons! Not long after the boat left I saw Common Terns diving for fish - one of them flew alongside the boat for a good while. I also saw a mystery Tern; it was all white except for a black line from the eye running to the back of its head, its feet were all black. Unfortunately, the photo is grainy....but any suggestions?



When we came up to the islands, I saw Cormorants, Oystercatchers, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, and a load of resting Terns. And yes I got some great views of Seals! I just wish the boat hadn't been tossing and turning so much, as it was hard to keep the camera in focus.




On the 15th, during lunch I spotted a bird on the horizon. As it came closer, I couldn't make out what it was until eventually I saw that it was a Sea Eagle! The weather was stormy and I noticed that the Eagle was flying backwards!




But possibly most exciting of all, I saw an Owl last night! I knew it was there, as my Grandmother had seen it several times. It was our third or fourth attempt to see it, so far we had had no luck. But as we were heading back to the house (getting midged to pieces), I decided we should go through the "Garden field" (where they grow their vegetables). I was watching a bat flitting about, when I noticed something flying out the corner of my eye, at first I didn't pay much attention, then it clicked, this was the owl! it disappeared behind the poly tunnels. I went and looked on the other side but couldn't see it.  I noticed something at the top of a post but in the low light I couldn't see what it was.  Just as I realised that it was the owl and raised my camera, it flew off! From what we know of previous sightings I'm pretty certain it is a Long-eared Owl! I will look for it again tonight, and, fingers crossed, get a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...