Wednesday 13 February 2013

Forthcoming Trip To Ireland

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I will be going to Ireland again soon.  To be precise the 21st of this month.
 My cousin Caleb, who has been mentioned on this blog before, has now taken up birdwatching as a hobby. Armed with binoculars, bird books and hopefully some knowledge gained from me!  He has been very fortunate recently, seeing a Siberian Chiffchaff,  Lesser Redpoll, Dipper, Kingfisher, Goldeneye and most amazingly yesterday a 1w Ring-billed Gull!  He did not know the identity to begin with, so I couldn't believe my eyes when, looking at the images he had sent me from Tralee Wetland Centre,  a 1st Winter R-b Gull! No idea why I thought of that, as I've never seen one myself, but it turned out to be a 1w R-b Gull!  Jammy!


He has also got himself a nice patch at their local beach.  In one image he sent me there were 41 Curlews! In another 3 Goldeneye. Here is also where he saw a Kingfisher.  Most likely a juvenile who is struggling to survive on the rivers and so has moved to the coast.

Anyway, I am there for one week.  So It'll be early mornings, 7:15?  And as much birding as I can do.  I hope to get to the beach at least once while I am there.  Hopefully Cos Strand as well as Caleb's patch, which are just a few miles apart.  Cos Strand you see has fairly tame waders.  And they are a subject I wish to photograph.  Having no decent images of any wader species yet, I would like to get some, preferably eye level shots.  I aim (without stretching my limits.. to far) to photograph: Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Turnstone, Curlew and Oystercatchers.  Another species that is gregarious on Irish beaches, is the Rock Pipit.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention he has also seen Shag on his patch, another species I only have record shots of, and the same goes for Goldeneye!

 On my Grandmothers land I aim to photograph, Fallow Deer, Siskin, Redpoll, Greenfinch and Pheasant.
  So I will be busy.
 The most difficult thing though, will be packing my bag, 500mm lens, camera body, not sure about a 300mm? Maybe binoculars, so a lot of heavy equipment.  I will need to be extra careful  on her land though, as we will be staying up a hill, and there are a lot of holes in the ground which you could slip your foot in and fall.
 So enough writing you will no doubt be glad to hear.  I will give you a couple more of my cousin's shots, pictures of wildlife I will hopefully get to photograph myself soon.





And one I took in the garden this morning, on a new perch, for good measure!  Otherwise this might turn into my cousin's blog, and you don't want that, do you?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Gideon hope you have a great trip , sounds like you will be busy with the camera .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I will! Batteries will have to be charged almost every night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gideon, great post and the image of the gull is one to be jealous of, I hope you catch up with it on your trip. Kingfishers do, during the winter perform a "mini" migration and can often be found either at the sea or close to it, the salt content preventing water from freezing up also river levels inland can be fast and murky due to heavy rainfall, I've seen Kingfishers dipping into rock pools before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Douglas! Would be great to get an image of a Kingfisher on a large coastal rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...